Victory Hall, Church Road, Farley Hill, Reading, RG7 1TR
FARLEY HILL BOWLS CLUB – A BRIEF HISTORY
As far as recollections go the club was established around 1958 and subsequently affiliated to the Royal County of Berkshire Bowling Association in 1966. The site the green occupies was originally a tennis court and was initially converted to only 3 rinks. The 4th rink was added later.
The green was opened by Lady Palmer, who was of course connected to the Huntley and Palmer biscuit factory in Reading, and who lived in the area at the time.
The site of the green and the adjacent village hall stands on land given to the village under a deed of covenant by a local squire. The hall is known as the Victory Hall because it was erected in memory of local people who lost their lives during the Great War.
A recent Lottery Grant has enabled the Village Hall Trustees to effect many improvements to the both the Victory Hall and the site.
The green occupies a delightful spot adjacent to the village church and adjoins wooded land and a bridleway on the one side. Although the club is in a village location none of the members actually live in the village. However, it currently has its highest ever membership - over 50 men and women.
The club currently has only one county level bowler in its midst but interest in bowling at this level is improving as a result of the increase in club membership. There is also an increasingly active ladies section, playing ladies only matches. However, most matches are played on a mixed friendly basis against local clubs, seldom more than 15 miles away.